These Innovative Plantain Dishes Will Make You Question How You Lived Without Them For So Long
Latino cooking is some of the most delicious and divine food one can consume. From Mexico’s mole sauce to Cuba’s ropa vieja to Brazil’s brigadeiro sweets, Latino food encompasses so many things. The unsung hero in a lot of Latino cooking is the plantain. It looks like a banana but the taste and texture is anything but. Here are 20 delicious recipes you can make with some plantains, time and practice.
1. Plantain Cake (Torta de Plátano Maduro)Plantain Cake Torta de Plátano Maduro. My Colombian Recipes. Digital-Image. April 16, 2018.
Nothing like some cheese, guava and ripe plantains to create a perfect cake. Seriously. The textures and sweetness of the main ingredients are enough to put any cake to shame.
2. Plantain BreadPlantain Bread Cake. ImmaculateBites. Digital Image. April 16, 2018.
Because banana bread is a things so why not plantain bread? Just wait for them to get really ripe and use them as you would a banana for bread.
3. Torta de Maduro (Ripe Plantain and Cheese Cake)Torta de Maduro Ripe Plantain and Cheese Cake. My Colombian Recipes. Digital Image. April 16, 2018.
This take on the cheesecake is simply divine. There is just something to decadent about a plantain cheesecake that is so exquisite.
4. Pasteles en Hoja (Plantain and Beef Pockets)Pasteles en Hoja Plantain and Beef Pockets. Dominican Cooking. Digital Image. April 16, 2018.
You might think that these are typical tamales but you would be wrong. These bad boys are made using a plantain mixture instead of a maza mixture.
5. Mala Rabia (Guava and Plantain in Syrup)Mala Rabia Guava and Plantain in Syrup. Dominican Cooking. Digital Image. April 16, 2018.
This is essentially a sweet version of pickling anything. Instead of making things taste bitter, your goal is to make the very ripe banana and fresh guava taste sweet.
6. Piononos de Plátanos Maduros (Ripe Plantain Rolls)Piononos de Plátanos Maduros Ripe Plantain Rolls. Dominican Cooking. Digital Image. April 16, 2018.
What can you do with a ripe plantain, some prosciutto and cheddar cheese? These delicious rolls, that’s what. Just layer, roll and bake them in muffin tins for a real nice treat.
7. Pasabocas de PlatanosPasabocas de Platanos. My Colombian Cocina. Digital Image. April 16, 2018.
You don’t want your plantains to be too ripe for this recipe. They should be just a little bit firm because you want to slice them thin enough to fry and then mld into a ring. Stick a toothpick in them and fill with your favorite filling and enjoy. Just don’t eat the toothpick with it.
8. Green Plantain CupsCestitas de Plátano Verde Con Diferentes Rellenos. Estampas. Digital Image. April 16, 2018.
This recipe is much simpler than one might think. All you have to do is roughly cut your green plantains and fry once. Then, smash them to form a cup and fry them again. Boom. Now you have some delectable plantain cups to enjoy.
9. Plantain CrepesPlantain Pancake. ImmaculateBites. Digital Image. April 16, 2018.
Once you puree your overly ripe plantains, create a basic crepe mixture and incorporate it all together. Once it is ready, make them like you would any other crepe and enjoy.
10. Aborrajados de Plátano (Ripe Plantain Fritters)Aborrajados-de-Plátano Ripe Plantain Fritters. My Colombian Recipes. Digital Image. April 16, 2018.
If you have ever dreamed of making plantain burgers with a cheese filling then you have found your recipe. Not only do you smash some friend plantains to make the buns, you dip them in a batter and fry once more for a delicious treat.
11. Mofongoviagrupo / Instagram
This delicious dish from Puerto Rico really highlights the importance of green plantains. When they are green they are not ripe but make wonderful savory dishes. For this dish, you are going to want to fry the plantain piece then mash the up with chicharrones and garlic to crete this island delicacy.
12. Empanadaspetite_fer / Instagram
Who doesn’t enjoy a good empanada? Just make the dough as you would but make sure to add some of that very ripe plantain puree to give it an extra layer of flavor.
13. Tostonesfoodbrothersrd / Instagram
These need to be done with the plantain is super not ripe. The greener and tougher the better. Just cut them up and fry them, smash them, then fry them again. Sprinkle salt over them and enjoy those bad boys.
14. Madurosfoodieluvalatina / Instagram
These are all about the sweet plantains. Let them get yellow and ripe and cut them up. Fry them once and until they are golden brown and you have a sweet, sweet treat.
15. Tostone Burgerv.v_connects / Instagram
Remember those tostones? Well, make some jumbo ones with bigger piece of plantain, follow the typical process, then use them as burger buns.
16. Sese Plantains (Porridge)Sese Plantains (Porridge). ImmaclateBites. Digital Image. April 16, 2018.
A nice hearty porridge for the cold nights is always a good choice. Nothing like using plantains to give it a unique and delicious flavor.
17. Sopa de Platanocafecolao2638 / Instagram
Ever made a leek and potato soup? The same applies to this soup as in you just need to get the vegetable cooked and th soup seasons then you just blend or mash it all up. Enjoy.
18. Bolon de Queso O Chicharroncafe_del_campo / Instagram
Fry the plantains in a skillet until they are a golden brown but not crispy. Once they are cooked and still hot, mash them up make them into balls. Once that is done, add the filling you prefer and fry again.
19. Pastelonjessicajemmott / Instagram
Lasagna only with plantains and Puerto Rican style. The pastelon takes all fo the techniques of lasagna but adds the bonus of using plantains instead of lasagna noodles.
20. Mangústromstyle / Instagram
This traditional Dominican uses the unripe plantain. However, this time the plantains get boiled instead of fried, which gives them a different texture. Mash them up when done with some onion powder, salt and water you used to boil the plantains and swerve with friend salami and cheese.
Notice any needed corrections? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org